28 March - 3 Apr 2021 at Fort Pickett in Blackstone, VA.
Announcing the 2021 Virginia Wing Spring Encampment Executive Roster!
Cadre Line and Support Applications are now open!
Follow the link to apply! Applications close 16 January 2021!
Attention Senior Members!
The Spring Encampment has senior member vacancies in the following areas:
Curriculum and Plans
Please visit this link https://bit.ly/36FZv7Y to take advantage of the opportunity to serve at this important activity.
To ensure stability and further assure the success of this event, we will be accepting staff and students from Virginia Wing only, thereby avoiding the loss of attendees due to inconsistent wing remobilization phases. We look forward to working with you, and hope to see both new and familiar faces at the upcoming event.
- Now! - senior member staff applications open.
- 7 Dec - executive cadre applications open.
- 14 Dec - executive cadre applications close.
- 19 Dec - senior member staff selected (open until filled).
- 23 Dec - executive cadre selected.
- 2 Jan - line & support cadre applications open.
- 16 Jan - line & support cadre applications close.
- Between 16-24 Jan - Virtual Cadre Selection Exercise
- 24 Jan - student applications open.
- 28 Feb - student applications close.
- 6 Feb - Required Staff Training Weekend 1 *VIRTUAL*
- 26-28 Feb - Required Staff Training Weekend 2 - at Fort Pickett
- 27 Mar - Staff Arrival
- 28 Mar - Student Arrival
- 3 Apr - Graduation - Noon - details to be sent prior.
In tandem with Virginia Wing’s guidance on COVID-19, the encampment executive staff in coordination with the wing's command staff is making decisions to hold activities and train based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), federal, and state guidance. Click here for Virginia Wing's guidance on COVID-19 response.
The purpose of the cadet encampment is for cadets to develop leadership skills, investigate the aerospace sciences and related careers, commit to a habit of regular exercise, and solidify their moral character.
The vision for the cadet encampment is “an immersion into the full challenges and opportunities of cadet life.”
The purpose of encampment is for each cadet to:
- Develop leadership skills
- Investigate aerospace sciences and related careers
- Commit to a habit of regular exercise
- Solidify their moral character
Virginia Wing's Vision
We will be the cadet leadership training center of excellence in Virginia Wing, Mid-Atlantic Region, and beyond. Cadets who graduate from our encampment will gain new respect for themselves and others, recommit to lives of volunteer service, embrace what it means to lead with integrity, and challenge themselves to the pursuit of excellence in all they do. We will accomplish this by teaching leadership concepts primarily through the example we set while maintaining a more challenging strictness, rigor, sense of urgency, and overall expectation of military bearing than normal CAP activities. Senior members and cadet leaders (cadre) will strive to be role models for CAP core values. We will establish and maintain an environment of respect where each member of the team, including parents, students, base personnel, and anyone else with whom we come into contact are honored. We will hold each other accountable for uniform standards, respectful behavior, and mission accomplishment. We will support one another by continuously improving on our strengths and building up those areas where we are weak.
Encampment is one of the most significant experiences in a cadet’s career, and it is the premiere cadet programs event in the Wing, involving cadets and senior members from across the Commonwealth.
- VA Encampment Facebook Page - Check out our Facebook page to see our past and future postings from the encampment during the week, as well as photos and graduation information. Please take a moment to look in our albums on Facebook for specific squadrons, flights and special events! As always, if you have a suggestion, send us a message!
- Virginia Wing's YouTube Channel
- Virginia Wing's Instagram
The Leadership Team
Maj Suzanne Collins, Commander
Capt Martin Simpkins, Vice Commander
Have a question that you were not able to find an answer to on this site? Contact us!
Most administration-related questions can be answered by emailing spring-enc-da @ vawg.cap.gov
Encampment Commander, Major Suzanne Collins - suzanne.collins @ vawg.cap.gov
Director of Cadet Programs, Capt Sarah Nutbrown - sarah.nutbrown @ vawg.cap.gov
We will publish emergency phone contacts to this page closer to the activity.