Announcing the 2021 Virginia Wing Summer Encampment
18 - 25 Jul 2021 at Fort Pickett in Blackstone, Virginia
STUDENT APPLICATIONS - CLICK HERE TO APPLY - will close at 11:59 PM EDT on 9 July 2021
Tentative Important Dates:
- Senior Member Interest Survey Open (until all positions filled)
- Executive Cadre Applications closed 11:59 PM EDT 7 May 2021
- Line & Support Cadre Applications closed 11:59 PM EDT 21 May 2021
- CANCELLED: 22 May 2021 - Staff Training Weekend 1 - Virtual
- 25 - 27 June 2021 - Staff Training Weekend 2 - In-Person
Q & A
Q: Is Virginia Wing Encampment accepting students from outside Virginia Wing? A: Virginia Wing is welcoming students from within Mid-Atlantic Region.
Q: How will cadets be awarded a student slot? A: Cadets will be awarded a student slot based on need for an encampment. Phase 3 cadets who received their Mitchell with a waiver will be the top priority, followed by phase 2 cadets.
Q: What is Virginia Wing Encampment planning on for COVID pre-cautions? A: Virginia Wing Encampment will follow all COVID precautions in accordance with the CDC, state of Virginia, and National Civil Air Patrol guidance. All cadets in attendance will part of a cohort. These cohorts will live, eat, and train together. Interaction with other cohorts will be limited to outdoor interaction with appropriate spacing and mask wear.
Q: Is vaccination required to participate at Virginia Wing Encampment? A: No, vaccination is not required to participate in the Virginia Wing Encampment. You may participate in Encampment as long as you meet one of the following criteria:
• Voluntary statement from parents that cadet is fully vaccinated.
• They have a negative COVID test within three days of starting travel to the activity location
• Statement from parent that the cadet has self-quarantined for 14 days prior to activity start and remained free of COVID symptoms during that time.
Q: My child is vaccinated, but I still want them to wear a mask, is that allowed? A: Yes, your child may still wear a mask if they are vaccinated.
Q: What if my child gets sick? A: Any cadet presenting symptoms will be isolated and the parents will need to make arrangements to pick up their child within 24 hours of notification.
Q: What if my child is exposed to COVID-19? A: Exposed cadets will be isolated and parents will need to make arrangements to pick up their child within 24 hours of notification.
The purpose of the cadet encampment is for cadets to develop leadership skills, investigate the aerospace sciences and related careers, commit to a habit of regular exercise, and solidify their moral character.
The vision for the cadet encampment is “an immersion into the full challenges and opportunities of cadet life.”
The purpose of encampment is for each cadet to:
- Develop leadership skills
- Investigate aerospace sciences and related careers
- Commit to a habit of regular exercise
- Solidify their moral character
Virginia Wing's Vision
We will be the cadet leadership training center of excellence in Virginia Wing, Mid-Atlantic Region, and beyond. Cadets who graduate from our encampment will gain new respect for themselves and others, recommit to lives of volunteer service, embrace what it means to lead with integrity, and challenge themselves to the pursuit of excellence in all they do. We will accomplish this by teaching leadership concepts primarily through the example we set while maintaining a more challenging strictness, rigor, sense of urgency, and overall expectation of military bearing than normal CAP activities. Senior members and cadet leaders (cadre) will strive to be role models for CAP core values. We will establish and maintain an environment of respect where each member of the team, including parents, students, base personnel, and anyone else with whom we come into contact are honored. We will hold each other accountable for uniform standards, respectful behavior, and mission accomplishment. We will support one another by continuously improving on our strengths and building up those areas where we are weak.
Encampment is one of the most significant experiences in a cadet’s career, and it is the premiere cadet programs event in the Wing, involving around 350 cadets and senior members from across the Commonwealth.
- VAWG Encampment Facebook Page - Check out our Facebook page to see our past and future postings from VAWG Encampment during the week, photos, and graduation information. Please take a moment to look in our albums on Facebook for specific squadrons, flights and special events! As Always, if you have a suggestion, send us a message!
- Virginia Wing's YouTube Channel
- Virginia Wing's Instagram
Have a question that you were not able to find an answer to on this site? Contact us!
Most administration questions can be answered by emailing summer-enc-da @ vawg.cap.gov
Encampment Commander, Major Michael McCabe - michael.mccabe @ vawg.cap.gov
Director of Cadet Programs, Capt Sarah Nutbrown - sarah.nutbrown @ vawg.cap.gov
We will publish emergency phone contacts to this page closer to the activity.